From your librarian…
Whether you are researching for a class assignment or looking for a great book to read, the New Hope High School Library is here to help you!
The NHHS Library has the reference materials you need to succeed in creating quality reports and projects. MAGNOLIA (Mississippi’s online library of databases) and DESTINY QUEST (LCSD Libraries’ operating system) are excellent sources for current and reliable information for all your research projects.
The NHHS Library is also the place to find the latest fiction. Your library has over 2900 novels just waiting to be read!
Stop by and check out a book or two or three, read a newspaper or magazine, or ask for help on that research project. You’ll be glad you did!
7:15 a.m.- 3:15 p.m.
7:15 a.m. -
Mrs. Hope DeVenney
Mrs. Nancy Upton
LIBRARY/MEDIA CENTER POLICIES
- Books may be checked out for a four-week period; they may be renewed for an additional two-week period.
- Three books may be checked out at a time.
- If a book is lost or damaged, the student must pay for the lost or damaged book in order to retain library privileges.
- A refund for a lost book that has been paid for will be made only if the book is found and returned during that school year.
- Eating, drinking, and gum chewing are not permitted in the library.
- Each student must sign in when visiting the library during class time.
- ASK for help in locating books and other information. Your library staff is here to help you!
Approximately 8000 titles, including over 2900 fiction titles
Local newspaper The Commercial Dispatch
Wide selection of magazines including Sports Illustrated, Bow Hunting, Ebony, Lucky
Access to MAGNOLIA (Mississippi Alliance for Gaining New Opportunities Through Library Information Access)- Mississippi’s online collection of online databases
When is the library open?
The library is open every day at 7:15 a.m. The library closes at 3:15 on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday; at 2:15 p.m. on Wednesday; and 3:00 on Friday.
When may I visit the library?
You may come to the library before school, at break, at lunch, and after school. You may also visit the library if you have a signed pass from a teacher.
When may I leave the library?
You may leave the library to return to your class as long as you have signed out and received permission from the librarian or the library assistant. If you visit the library before school or at break, you may leave at your own discretion. If you visit the library during lunch, you may leave when your lunch period ends.
Can I bring food or drink into the library?
No food or drinks may be consumed in the library. If you have these items with you when you visit the library, please leave them on the counter.
How many books may I check out and for how long?
You may check out up to three books for four weeks. These books may be renewed for an additional two weeks.
How do I find information in the library?
If you don’t know where to find specific information, ASK! The librarian and the library assistant are here to help you!
What are the classifications of the Dewey Decimal System?
000 Computer science, information, & general works
100 Philosophy & psychology
300 Social Sciences
700 Arts & recreation
900 History & geography
All Lowndes County School Libraries use DESTINY. DESTINY allows the user to search for a book by title, author, subject, or keyword. DESTINY also allows the user to check if a particular book is on the shelf or, if checked out, when it is due. Every NHHS student has his/her own DESTINY account.
- Under Quick Links, click on Destiny.
- Click on New Hope High School. The Destiny Quest page will open.
- Click on Log In tab.
- Enter your user name which is your MSIS number without the zeroes.
- Enter lowndes as your password.
- Destiny Quest opens.
- On this page you will see New Hope High School and your name in the bar across the top of the page.
- In the center of this page is the “Find” bar. Type in the topic you are researching. The following tabs will appear:
- Library Titles- The books in the NHHS Library on this topic will be listed.
- Web Sites- Web sites related to your topic will be listed. All of these have been verified for accuracy and reliability. Why use Google? Destiny has already done the searching for you!
You are wasting your valuable time!
Those free search engines don’t monitor their info for accuracy or reliability. You have to do that for yourself.
THERE IS A BETTER WAY TO RESEARCH!
Mississippi Alliance for Gaining New Opportunities through Library Information Access
MAGNOLIA is Mississippi’s collection of online databases available at your school library.
You can also access MAGNOLIA from your home computer; see your librarian for the password.
The information you find on MAGNOLIA is reliable. It has been researched and written by people who are experts in their fields.
You can search by a specific topic or use the categories on the left side of the screen.
USING MAGNOLIA AT HOME
If you are using a home computer, you will need the MAGNOLIA password to log on. The password is available at your school library or the public library. JUST COME BY THE LIBRARY AND ASK!
MAGNOLIA WEB ADDRESS
MAGNOLIA has 47 databases that you can use for research. These include the following:
USEFUL WEBSITES and VIDEOS